Issue 3 - March 1996
Geof Miller, ARC Press & Publicity
Brandlehow, Wolverton, Stratford-on-Avon CV37 0HF
Tel: (+44) 1789 73 1669
- First of all, many thanks to all those clubs who have
responded to my request for Newsletter Editor's addresses,
and copies of club newsletters, 16 UK clubs have
responded, 20 have not!
- Whilst mentioning club newsletters, many quote "all
material is copyright of the XYZ Rover Owners Club, and
is not to be reproduced without written permission".
Surely this is rather restrictive (do I need written
permission?) and not really within the spirit of the ARC.
Could I suggest that:-
- by all means put the Copyright restriction on
organisations outside the ARC, but,
- allow all ARC clubs freedom to reproduce "provided
the author and/or newsletter is acknowledged".
.....as practised by Ted Ivory in Runes magazine.
- If you need to contact Andrew Stavordale, his telephone
number has changed to 0161 292 0539
- How often to Club committees talk at their committee
meetings about ARC matters? Club committees are always
appealing for club members to come forward and play an
active role in the running of the club. Look in the
mirror again, folks, and make sure your club is
represented at the forthcoming A.R.C. AGM to be held at
the Presentation Suite, Lode Lane factory on Sat 16th
March 1996 at 10.00 am.
Nominations (or enforcement
orders!) will be required for several important posts.
- If you're 'into' 4 x 2s, that is, Rover cars, there are
one or two changes within the Rover Sports Register. This
is the only club I know of which boasts two magazines,
and there have been some editor changes recently.
editor of 'Freewheel' magazine is now Ian Elliott, 29 The
Common, Earlswood, Warwicks B94 5SL, available on fax
Longship News is now edited by Adrian Chandler, 67 Red
Oak Avenue, Barrow-in-Furness, Cumbria LA13 0LJ and by
telephone on 01229 821647.
- Material is being collected for the 1997 ARC Handbook,
and more material is required from the clubs, not just
the recruitment handout, but something interesting about
what the club has achieved i.e. Range Rover's 25th year,
SD1's 20th year, 101 FC's 21st year, etc., and a touch of
humour wouldn't go amiss! Tell the others what you're
The deadline is end of April, we hope to
elect a new handbook editor at the AGM, but in the
meantime feel free to send any material to me for onward
- If you want to send club info or newsletters to Land
Rover Owner magazine, you should now address it to Emma
Taylor at Bushfield House, Orton Centre, Peterborough PE2
Events - General
- Trailmasters are offering discounted off-road adventure
holidays to Canada - May to September, Romania - 4th/11th/18th
August, and Morocco (22 days) - 16th April/1st June/19th
Oct/8th Nov 1996.
For more details send me a 19p
stamped DL or C5 SAE.
- There is an Old Sodbury Sortout on Saturday March 30th
1996 at Old Sodbury near Bristol. Clubs are allowed a
free "club recruitment" pitch based around one
Other dates are at Harrogate (alongside
Great Northern 4 x 4) on Sunday 11th August and at Old
Sodbury again on Saturday October 26th.
For more info call the 'old Sod' himself on 01454
321010 or fax 01454 273054.
- A Viking ship (the stuff that Rover logos are made of) is
sailing from Sigtuna in Sweden to Novogorod in Russia and
then to the Black Sea during June to September. It will
have land based back up from the Swedish and Norwegian
Land Rover Owners Clubs.
If you fancy helping out for
any period between June 18th and Sept 15th, send me a 19p
stamped DL or C5 SAE for more info.
- Off Roading Holidays in France, in the Auvergne region,
are available via Cooper Brioude Limited, in groups of up
to six vehicles. A guaranteed group of six vehicles for a
seven day excursion would qualify for a 'group discount'.
For more info send me a 19p stamped C5 SAE.
- Have you heard of Eurolink, it's a sort of European
version of ARC, aimed at creating contact between all
European Land Rover owners, and having regular rallies,
but with a particular view to a major rally in 1998 to
celebrate 50 years of Land Rover. More news later.
- Cornwall & Devon Land Rover Club have a feather in
Round 2 of the 8 round series of the RAC
National Off-Road Championship 1996 is being hosted by
the above mentioned club at Newnham Park, Plympton,
Plymouth, on Sunday 5th May.
The event is open to all RAC registered off-road clubs,
and full camping facilities will be available.
Regulations are available from:-
D. Dion, Hunters Oak. Trendle Lane, Bere Alston,
Yelverton, Devon PL20 7HT
- The Lightweight LRC are planning a big celebration event
at Billing in 1997, and want as many Lightweight Land
Rovers as possible to attend. If you own such a vehicle,
and would like more info, contact Sue Foster on 01204
- The LARA Anniversary Conference is being held at Gaydon
on 17th April 1996 to discuss the way ahead for the next
ten years. Starts at 9.30, ends at 15.30, includes lunch
and museum tours. Cost £30 for club members. Booking
form is in the Spring 1996 Runes.
CLUB EVENTS 1996
- Apr 5/6/7/8 Easter
- MROC's usual Eastnor Event - Caravans, Trials, Bike Trial.
Contact Steve Cook on 01527 525021
Cheshire Interclub Event at Trentham. - Caravans, Trials,
Comp Safari, Team & Winch Recovery.
Details from Andrew Stavordale 0161 292 0539
Greystoke 96 - a joint Cumbrian Rover Owners and Red
Rose Land Rover Club event at Greystoke Castle Estate,
Cumbria. Caravans, RTV, CCVT, Gymkhana and Winch Recovery.
Contact Lynn Jeary on Tel 01772 671333 or Fax 01772
- Apr 21st/22nd
- North Wales Land Rover Club's 10th Anniversary Rally at
Rhydyglafes, Cynwyd, Corwen. Gymkhana on Saturday, Trials
on Sunday and camping for the weekend.
Cuthbert on 01492 534417.
- May 5th
- RAC National Offroad championships - Plymouth.
- May 5th/6th
- Breckland 25th Anniversary Rally at Bircham Newton. All
ARC clubs invited. Camping, RTV & CCV Trials,
gymkhana, offroad route etc.
For details contact Wendy
Chandler 0169 240 4453
- May 4th/7th
- Staffs & Shrops are holding an Interclub event at
Contact Andrew Bayliss 01782 627101
- May 4th/6th
- Lincolnshire LRC are holding their 3 day event (open
permit) at Manby.
Contact Frank Champion on 01427
- May 24th/27th
- International Rally run by Southern Rover Owners Club, at
Uckfield, East Sussex. Your entry forms should be in by
- June 13th/18th
- Range Rover Register celebrate Range Rover's 26th
Birthday at Manby Showground, Lincolnshire.
Mike Perretta on 01732 350854
- June 22nd/23rd
- Rover Owners Club of Holland 25th Anniversary rally.
details now available - send me a 19p stamped C5 SAE.
- August 25th
- Yorkshire ROC, 4 x 4 Classic Reliability Trial at Worrall,
Suitable for vehicles with spoilers and tow
hitches! Contact John Bradbury on 01706 38801
- August 23rd/26th
- Porthmadog '96 - North Wales Land Rover Club's Bank
Holiday Inter-club event in beautiful Snowdonia
Dave Cuthbert 01492 534417
(up, back to issue
2, on to issue 4)
Disclaimer, April 1996